Author Topic: Marijuana Legalization  (Read 4106 times)

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
Re: Marijuana Legalization
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 03:18:05 PM »
https://www.app.com/story/opinion/columnists/2018/12/04/marijuana-legalization-new-jersey-vote-no-cardinale/2201096002/

Quote from: Gerald Cardinale
One of the biggest lies being told by the proponents is that marijuana is harmless and non-addictive. Wrong. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, 25 to 50 percent of daily marijuana users become addicted.

It’s not just that more adults are using marijuana now. In states where marijuana is legal, children as young as 12 years old are using marijuana at higher rates than the national average for youth. Enforcement is difficult and costly.

In post-legalization states, mothers are using pot during pregnancy at higher rates. Their children often have low birth weights. That hasn’t stopped New Jersey leaders from ignoring the cries of these children, or from dismissing evidence that many other medical conditions are also aggravated by marijuana usage.

Both Harvard and Northwestern studies show that marijuana can harm the brain. Respected medical journals have shown how the drug can alter one’s perception, behavior, and reaction time.
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 12:16:26 PM »
https://www.app.com/story/opinion/columnists/2018/12/04/marijuana-legalization-new-jersey-vote-no-cardinale/2201096002/

Quote from: Gerald Cardinale
One of the biggest lies being told by the proponents is that marijuana is harmless and non-addictive. Wrong. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, 25 to 50 percent of daily marijuana users become addicted.

It’s not just that more adults are using marijuana now. In states where marijuana is legal, children as young as 12 years old are using marijuana at higher rates than the national average for youth. Enforcement is difficult and costly.

In post-legalization states, mothers are using pot during pregnancy at higher rates. Their children often have low birth weights. That hasn’t stopped New Jersey leaders from ignoring the cries of these children, or from dismissing evidence that many other medical conditions are also aggravated by marijuana usage.

Both Harvard and Northwestern studies show that marijuana can harm the brain. Respected medical journals have shown how the drug can alter one’s perception, behavior, and reaction time.

i think this is incorrect information
Also, in Colorado, there was a 48 percent increase in marijuana-related motor vehicle fatalities after legalization.

They found that over that time period, collisions claim frequencies in the states that had legalized marijuana were about 3 percent higher than would have been anticipated without legalization.

a second study, published in the American Journal of Public Health (AJPH), that found no increase in vehicle crash fatalities in Colorado and Washington, relative to similar states, after legalization.

The authors of that study analyzed federal data on fatal car crashes from 2009 to 2015. “We found no significant association between recreational marijuana legalization in Washington and Colorado and subsequent changes in motor vehicle crash fatality rates in the first 3 years after recreational marijuana legalization,” they concluded.

The studies measured slightly different things: IIHS looked at claims for motor vehicle collisions, while the AJPH report focused more specifically on fatal crashes. It seems plausible that legalization could lead to a slight increase in minor accidents that don't prove fatal.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/26/what-marijuana-legalization-did-to-car-accident-rates/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cfbe4191e6e3

Thirty spokes are joined in the wheel's hub.
The hole in the middle makes it useful.

...the value comes from what is there,
But the use comes from what is not there.

-Tao Te Ching  chapter 11

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 02:48:12 PM »

Also, in Colorado, there was a 48 percent increase in marijuana-related motor vehicle fatalities after legalization.
I'm assuming just this above quote is about the APP article? Yes, I would agree with it being inaccurate but I was just siting and quoting it.

I'm assuming the below quotes are about the WP article? Yes, I would agree.
They found that over that time period, collisions claim frequencies in the states that had legalized marijuana were about 3 percent higher than would have been anticipated without legalization.

a second study, published in the American Journal of Public Health (AJPH), that found no increase in vehicle crash fatalities in Colorado and Washington, relative to similar states, after legalization.

The authors of that study analyzed federal data on fatal car crashes from 2009 to 2015. “We found no significant association between recreational marijuana legalization in Washington and Colorado and subsequent changes in motor vehicle crash fatality rates in the first 3 years after recreational marijuana legalization,” they concluded.

The studies measured slightly different things: IIHS looked at claims for motor vehicle collisions, while the AJPH report focused more specifically on fatal crashes. It seems plausible that legalization could lead to a slight increase in minor accidents that don't prove fatal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/26/what-marijuana-legalization-did-to-car-accident-rates/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cfbe4191e6e3
I got confused what was quoting what lol. I usually put the site then quote it. Yea all these studies come out but everything is trying to counter the other without showing an overall picture. "Crashes went up" well ok when, where, and how long? Did it happen in just one place? I hate studies that lack data or don't go over the objective or at least don't talk about the objective. It's worse if they do have an objective but the journalist isn't documenting it.
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 08:37:38 AM »

I'm assuming just this above quote is about the APP article? Yes, I would agree with it being inaccurate but I was just siting and quoting it.
that would be correct sorry for the confusion

I'm assuming the below quotes are about the WP article? Yes, I would agree.

I got confused what was quoting what lol. I usually put the site then quote it. Yea all these studies come out but everything is trying to counter the other without showing an overall picture. "Crashes went up" well ok when, where, and how long? Did it happen in just one place? I hate studies that lack data or don't go over the objective or at least don't talk about the objective. It's worse if they do have an objective but the journalist isn't documenting it.

everyone has an agenda and will feed what ever information it is to support their case

anyone could use an argument that is wrong but with the statistics make it sound right.

for instance
10 percent of all teen driving fatalities in 2016 involved distracted driving
which means 90% weren't so distracting driving is good!
https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/who-was-injured/teen/teen-driving-statistics.html
which we know is incorrect. might be a bad example but you get the point

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 10:25:07 AM »
everyone has an agenda and will feed what ever information it is to support their case

anyone could use an argument that is wrong but with the statistics make it sound right.

for instance
10 percent of all teen driving fatalities in 2016 involved distracted driving
which means 90% weren't so distracting driving is good!
https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/who-was-injured/teen/teen-driving-statistics.html
which we know is incorrect. might be a bad example but you get the point
Agenda or not, making a false claim backed by good data doesn't make your claim true. The information and claims in the article I posted aren't false but more misleading (I'm sure we both agree). I want to make sure I'm posting anything with good data from good sources. When you posted opposing data then that's what makes this thread so good. It takes all the data and makes a larger picture. Trust me I get your point but just not in the exact worded context.

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 10:53:30 PM »
https://www.nj.com/expo/news/erry-2018/12/64cb95fd7e1151/nj-is-moving-toward-legal-weed.html

The number of towns with some sort of ban or opposition of marijuana is now at least 50, nearly 10 percent of all the towns in the state.

While legal weed is not yet a done deal in New Jersey, as the full Legislature must still approve the bill and the governor must sign it, many more towns in the state have taken an opposing stance than a supportive one.

If legalization does happen, these towns would not be able to prevent residents who are at least 21 year old from possessing small amounts of weed and using it in a private residence. But they can prevent marijuana businesses from growing and selling in their limits. See below for the towns that taken that step.

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 07:07:02 AM »
https://www.nj.com/expo/news/erry-2018/12/64cb95fd7e1151/nj-is-moving-toward-legal-weed.html

The number of towns with some sort of ban or opposition of marijuana is now at least 50, nearly 10 percent of all the towns in the state.

While legal weed is not yet a done deal in New Jersey, as the full Legislature must still approve the bill and the governor must sign it, many more towns in the state have taken an opposing stance than a supportive one.

If legalization does happen, these towns would not be able to prevent residents who are at least 21 year old from possessing small amounts of weed and using it in a private residence. But they can prevent marijuana businesses from growing and selling in their limits. See below for the towns that taken that step.

no tax revenue for those towns. brick isnt on that list. maybe my neighbors will go out of business and i dont have to get a contract high every time i open the windows.

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 07:12:52 AM »
no tax revenue for those towns. brick isnt on that list. maybe my neighbors will go out of business and i dont have to get a contract high every time i open the windows.
This will def be interesting to see how this plays out.

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 11:38:53 AM »
https://www.nj.com/marijuana/2018/12/an-nj-university-started-offering-marijuana-classes-this-year-now-its-getting-some-help.html

Stockton University launched its medical marijuana program this fall, with students taking a course in cannabis law, becoming one of the first institutions in the state to embrace marijuana.

Now, Stockton has partnered with the New Jersey CannaBusiness Association, the state’s primary industry group, in an effort to bolster the medical marijuana program.

The CannaBusiness Association announced the partnership on Wednesday, saying that it would help the school bring in guest speakers from the industry and place students in medical marijuana internships.

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »
https://www.nj.com/marijuana/2018/12/an-nj-university-started-offering-marijuana-classes-this-year-now-its-getting-some-help.html

Stockton University launched its medical marijuana program this fall, with students taking a course in cannabis law, becoming one of the first institutions in the state to embrace marijuana.

Now, Stockton has partnered with the New Jersey CannaBusiness Association, the state’s primary industry group, in an effort to bolster the medical marijuana program.

The CannaBusiness Association announced the partnership on Wednesday, saying that it would help the school bring in guest speakers from the industry and place students in medical marijuana internships.

would these interns be drug tested?

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 11:54:00 AM »

would these interns be drug tested?
Sounds like a fair question to me.

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 11:56:24 AM »
"Study Shows Heavy Adolescent Pot Use Permanently Lowers IQ"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbradberry/2015/02/10/new-study-shows-smoking-pot-permanently-lowers-iq/#56e9da862f5b

A study more than thirty years in the making found that smoking marijuana permanently lowers intelligence, or IQ.  Frequent pot smokers (even those who had given up marijuana) tended to have deficits in memory, concentration, and overall IQ. The reduction in IQ for those who smoked pot heavily prior to age 18 was most pronounced: an average of eight points. An eight point reduction in IQ is enough to have a significant, negative impact upon your life. To put it into context, consider that individuals with an IQ of 110 have an average net worth of $71,000 and individuals with an IQ of 120 have an average net worth of $128,000. It looks like smoking pot can lower your tax bracket.

What's significant about this research is that it was a longitudinal study: researchers followed and tested subjects from birth through to age 38, noting when and how frequently they picked up habits like drug use. Previous studies scrutinized marijuana use at a single point in time, which failed to eliminate the possibility that people with lower IQs are more likely to smoke pot. The longitudinal research provided a baseline IQ score for all subjects, which revealed changes in IQ scores as they picked up new habits, such as smoking pot.

By following subjects for decades, the researchers were able to measure the lasting effects of adolescent marijuana use (even after subjects gave up smoking pot). These effects last because the teenage brain is still developing at a rapid pace; myriad new pathways for thinking are formed during this period while others are weeded out. When teenagers expose their brains to a damaging substance like marijuana, the effects aren't just drastic...they're permanently etched into the brain. Indeed, the reduction in IQ from smoking marijuana regularly was much greater for those who started smoking as teenagers than those who started in adulthood.

While the study didn't measure the effects of marijuana upon teenagers' emotional intelligence, it's likely they are dire. Emotional intelligence (EQ) in teenagers lags behind their cognitive development. This explains why teenagers are so impulsive, emotional, and prone to risky behavior. Since teenagers' EQ develops much later than their IQ, this area of the brain is even more susceptible to the negative influences of marijuana.

They did site the study here:
https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/08/22/1206820109

Sited website from study webpage:
https://www.pnas.org/content/109/40/E2657

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 12:03:28 PM »
Not sure how reputable this website but I found this. Seems to be posted less than an hour ago.

"Congress Votes to Legalize Hemp, Trump’s Signature Expected Soon"

https://only420.com/8700/marijuana-news/congress-voted-legalize-hemp-trump-signature-expected/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Members of Congress in both the House and Senate have voted to approve the reconciled 2018 Farm Bill, which includes the federal legalization of industrial hemp cultivation and sales. President Trump has voiced his support for the bill and is expected to sign it into law this month.

The Senate voted 87-13 on Dec 12 to approve the revised language, according to Business Insider [Sited link (1)].  The House also passed the bill with overwhelming support in a vote of 369-47.

Hemp will now be classified as an agricultural crop and will no longer be mixed into the same classification as cannabis and marijuana. Hemp will be treated like any other crop, such as corn.

Sited link (1):
"Congress just quietly passed a law that could spark a boom for the $1 billion marijuana-linked CBD industry"
https://www.businessinsider.com/farm-bill-legalizes-hemp-boom-marijuana-cbd-industry-2018-12

This also opens the doors for FDIC banks to work with hemp farmers and hemp-related companies. As well, research into hemp will be conducted on larger scales and hemp-related issues will be eligible for federal grants.

There are still questions surrounding how the DEA will handle CBD. But with hemp legalized, CBD extracted from hemp should also be legal.

Some controversy may arise in debating how to handle hemp-derived CBD. For now, according to DEA spokesperson Katherine Pfaff, if CBD items are “intended for human consumption” it’s likely to remain a Schedule I drug. But, the legalization of hemp means that the DEA will have to take another look at CBD.

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 12:07:38 PM »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbradberry/2015/02/10/new-study-shows-smoking-pot-permanently-lowers-iq/#56e9da862f5b

A study more than thirty years in the making found that smoking marijuana permanently lowers intelligence, or IQ.  Frequent pot smokers (even those who had given up marijuana) tended to have deficits in memory, concentration, and overall IQ. The reduction in IQ for those who smoked pot heavily prior to age 18 was most pronounced: an average of eight points. An eight point reduction in IQ is enough to have a significant, negative impact upon your life. To put it into context, consider that individuals with an IQ of 110 have an average net worth of $71,000 and individuals with an IQ of 120 have an average net worth of $128,000. It looks like smoking pot can lower your tax bracket.

What's significant about this research is that it was a longitudinal study: researchers followed and tested subjects from birth through to age 38, noting when and how frequently they picked up habits like drug use. Previous studies scrutinized marijuana use at a single point in time, which failed to eliminate the possibility that people with lower IQs are more likely to smoke pot. The longitudinal research provided a baseline IQ score for all subjects, which revealed changes in IQ scores as they picked up new habits, such as smoking pot.

By following subjects for decades, the researchers were able to measure the lasting effects of adolescent marijuana use (even after subjects gave up smoking pot). These effects last because the teenage brain is still developing at a rapid pace; myriad new pathways for thinking are formed during this period while others are weeded out. When teenagers expose their brains to a damaging substance like marijuana, the effects aren't just drastic...they're permanently etched into the brain. Indeed, the reduction in IQ from smoking marijuana regularly was much greater for those who started smoking as teenagers than those who started in adulthood.

While the study didn't measure the effects of marijuana upon teenagers' emotional intelligence, it's likely they are dire. Emotional intelligence (EQ) in teenagers lags behind their cognitive development. This explains why teenagers are so impulsive, emotional, and prone to risky behavior. Since teenagers' EQ develops much later than their IQ, this area of the brain is even more susceptible to the negative influences of marijuana.

when i smoked weed i felt more then 8 points dumber

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 12:26:35 PM »

when i smoked weed i felt more then 8 points dumber
Haha I sure a lot of people would agree. I think it was more to outline use of the product during childhood development. Between the age of 9 to 19 is such a HUGE stage of a peoples brain development. Definitely don't wanna mess with that. Most places are placing an age limit of around 21 years old so a new study would need to be based on someone starting after that age.