Author Topic: Smart Home assistances  (Read 1803 times)

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
Smart Home assistances
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:25:58 PM »
I just got the Google Home Mini and am already in love with it. I know these things can integrate with A LOT of stuff so I figured I would make this thread for us to put information in.
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
Re: Smart Home assistances
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:26:12 PM »
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 10:26:24 PM »
Just found some features don't work if you aren't on the same exact wifi as the home assistant. Like if you have one SSID and a 5G SSID that doesn't count as the same. Super annoyed about it. Even printers seem to allow crossing back and forth. It honestly shouldn't matter if they're on the same subnet like wtf??

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 07:00:56 AM »
I just got the Google Home Mini and am already in love with it. I know these things can integrate with A LOT of stuff so I figured I would make this thread for us to put information in.

https://hackablepodcast.com/#/episodes/high-frequency
Thirty spokes are joined in the wheel's hub.
The hole in the middle makes it useful.

...the value comes from what is there,
But the use comes from what is not there.

-Tao Te Ching  chapter 11

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:17:28 PM »
Having a lot of luck with mine. Learned most of them link to https://ifttt.com/ which basically let's you do whatever you want. I got my Google Home mini to talk shit about my cat lol. "..he's an ungrateful bastard."

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 11:55:32 PM »
Google Home now (as of 3/28/2018) lets you connect to a Bluetooth speaker instead of using the built-in speaker. This is great for Google Home Mini owners who enjoy music and have a BT speaker to the side. Now the Google Home (gen 2) and the Google Home Max already have pretty decent speakers in them so this feature might not be as useful.

https://www.blog.google/products/home/google-home-and-bluetooth-speakers-make-perfect-pair/

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 11:58:53 PM »
According to 9TO5Google, "Only 6% of smart speaker owners using them to control smart home devices" which is actually really upsetting to hear. I've spent a lot of time learning the ins&outs of these little gems and they do A LOT when it comes to the smart home industry. I know things like smart lights can be controlled via your smart phone so I'm sure people are using the phase, "I don't need all that fancy stuff" when they don't even know what they're missing.

https://9to5google.com/guides/google-home/

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 08:12:27 AM »
According to 9TO5Google, "Only 6% of smart speaker owners using them to control smart home devices" which is actually really upsetting to hear. I've spent a lot of time learning the ins&outs of these little gems and they do A LOT when it comes to the smart home industry. I know things like smart lights can be controlled via your smart phone so I'm sure people are using the phase, "I don't need all that fancy stuff" when they don't even know what they're missing.

https://9to5google.com/guides/google-home/

they are not needed. and many smart devices are only smart for hackers. most arent built with security in mind. many of these products are rushed out for Christmas and forgotten about by the manufacturer. these thing happen much to common for me to consider having a smart house. not only that but people that use these smart speakers claim they end up getting advertisements on what it is that they talk about. i understand that the technology is very cool but i will never get this device in my home.

https://hackablepodcast.com/#/episodes

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 08:37:38 PM »
they are not needed. and many smart devices are only smart for hackers. most arent built with security in mind. many of these products are rushed out for Christmas and forgotten about by the manufacturer. these thing happen much to common for me to consider having a smart house. not only that but people that use these smart speakers claim they end up getting advertisements on what it is that they talk about. i understand that the technology is very cool but i will never get this device in my home.

https://hackablepodcast.com/#/episodes
Maybe less of a need and more of a convenience. I'm study the hell out of them because I help set them up at work. You can safety use them if you're worried. You just need to be aware of what it can do and where it stores the data. My Google Home Mini takes all the commands I call out and lists them for me to review. Its weird to see at first but then you start to see its "learning" you. You can also mute the device if you don't want it on all the time. BTW I love those shows you posted. I want to sit and listen to more but maybe on my phone another day. As for the devices advertising to you, I'm sure there's some logic to it but I don't believe its what everyone is saying.

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 06:39:13 AM »

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/06/27/google-confirms-home-speakers-chromecast-are-down-worldwide/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.54041a52d15d

Google fixes global Home speaker and Chromecast outage

“Sorry, something went wrong. Try again in a few seconds.” That’s the response that Google smart speaker users around the world heard for most of Wednesday when they asked their devices to play music, get the weather or even respond to its “Hey, Google” prompt.

Google said in a statement that it has fixed a problem affecting both its Home smart speakers and Chromecast, the plug-in video-casting dongle for televisions. An update to address the issue should be rolling out to all users over the next six hours, the company said Wednesday evening.

“We are really sorry for the inconvenience and are taking steps to prevent this issue from happening in the future,” Google said in the statement.

Google Home and Chromecast owners started reporting issues to Google early Wednesday [June 27, 2018], according to online help forums for both devices.

Devices affected by the problem lost their normal functions. The option to stream video to the Chromecast had disappeared from apps including Netflix and YouTube, according to customer reports. In the case of the Google Home and Google Home Mini, the devices seemed to be responding — but only to apologize for not being able to do anything.

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 11:11:12 AM »
I got an email from Google on 6/28/2018 saying the following:

Hi Jeremy,
You may have noticed a problem with your
Google Home yesterday morning. We found a glitch
with one of our backend systems and spent the day
working hard to get everyone back up and running.
It's frustrating when technology doesn't work the
way it should, especially when you're depending on
it. We're sorry that this happened.
There's a fix rolling out to all Google Home devices
now. If you're still having trouble, let us know here.
Thanks for sticking with us.
- rishi, on behalf of the Google Home team

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 12:43:35 PM »
I got an email from Google on 6/28/2018 saying the following:

Hi Jeremy,
You may have noticed a problem with your
Google Home yesterday morning. We found a glitch
with one of our backend systems and spent the day
working hard to get everyone back up and running.
It's frustrating when technology doesn't work the
way it should, especially when you're depending on
it. We're sorry that this happened.
There's a fix rolling out to all Google Home devices
now. If you're still having trouble, let us know here.
Thanks for sticking with us.
- rishi, on behalf of the Google Home team

interesting
so did they close or open the nsa back door?

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 12:11:29 AM »
interesting
so did they close or open the nsa back door?
We all know that door has always been open..  :-X

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile