Author Topic: Smart Home assistances  (Read 1556 times)

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
Re: Smart Home assistances
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 05:53:17 PM »
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 03:12:37 PM »
I feel like this should be well known in the Smart Home category but I would highly make sure you're assigning your devices to specific rooms. This core function is the magic to the system.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-assign-your-google-home-speakers-to-different-rooms/
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
Thirty spokes are joined in the wheel's hub.
The hole in the middle makes it useful.

...the value comes from what is there,
But the use comes from what is not there.

-Tao Te Ching  chapter 11

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 01:58:28 PM »
https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/18/18187992/microsoft-cortana-satya-nadella-alexa-google-assistant-competitor

"Microsoft no longer sees Cortana as an Alexa or Google Assistant competitor"

Microsoft’s Cortana digital assistant has fallen behind Google Assistant and Alexa over the past year, and now the software maker is taking a different approach to the competition. Speaking to journalists at a media event earlier this week, attended by The Verge, CEO Satya Nadella revealed that Microsoft no longer sees Cortana as a competitor to Alexa or Google Assistant. “Cortana needs to be that skill for anybody who’s a Microsoft 365 subscriber,” explains Nadella, referencing Microsoft’s new consumer subscription push. “You should be able to use it on Google Assistant, you should be able to use it on Alexa, just like how you use our apps on Android and iOS so that’s at least how we want to think about where it’ll go.”

Instead of competing with Alexa, Nadella admits that there was a challenge of creating hardware and software that’s unique to compete. Microsoft chose to make Cortana “a valuable skill that somebody who is using Alexa can call,” instead of competing in smart speakers, and that’s probably why we haven’t seen many Cortana speakers. We’ll still likely see Cortana appear in hardware like Surface Headphones in the future, though.

Microsoft moved Cortana out of its AI research division and into its Experiences and Devices team late last year, signaling Nadella’s focus on Cortana being an assistant across multiple products and platforms. The move coincided with the departure of Microsoft’s Cortana chief, and capped a difficult year for the digital assistant. Microsoft has made Skype calling available on Alexa, though, and the Xbox One also now supports Alexa. Microsoft is now in the middle of re-positioning Cortana on Windows 10, including separating it from search and silencing the digital assistant during setup.

Cortana worked well when I tried it but no one really knew about it. I think this is a good move. They did make a hardware piece but it was manufactured in someone elses device. Basically the other company made the smart speaker "powered by Cortana" type of deal.

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 01:44:48 PM »
"Amazon employees are listening to what you say to Alexa — here’s how to stop them"

A report from Bloomberg revealed that thousands of Amazon employees are listening to what people say when they talk to Alexa.

Amazon said it uses these conversations to improve Alexa’s “understanding of human speech.” Bloomberg’s report Wednesday said the voice snippets are tied to device serial numbers and the owner’s first name.

But there’s a way to prevent Amazon employees from listening in. CNBC dug through the Alexa app, and the option to share this type of information with Amazon was on by default. You can turn it off.

In the Alexa app, which is available for iPhones and Android, the Alexa privacy settings page says this:

Use Voice Recordings to Help Develop New Features

Training Alexa with recordings from a diverse range of customers helps ensure Alexa works well for everyone. When this setting is enabled, your voice recordings may be used in the development of new features. If you turn this setting off, new features may not work well for you.

To turn these settings off, do this:

Open the Alexa app on your phone.
Tap the menu button on the top left of the screen.

Select “Alexa Account.”

Choose “Alexa Privacy.”

Select “Manage how your data improves Alexa.”

Turn off the button next to “Help Develop New Features.”

Turn off the button next to your name under “Use Messages to Improve Transcriptions.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/11/how-to-stop-amazon-from-listening-to-what-you-say-to-alexa.html

That's just weird. I know they want to improve products but it should be WAY MORE CLEAR about that feature. I know they exist but seriously make it clear. I do actively look for this stuff and I turn it off unless I get something extra for it. I'm still ok with it storing your voice for you to look up as long as it isn't used.

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 12:30:47 PM »
"Amazon employees are listening to what you say to Alexa — here’s how to stop them"

A report from Bloomberg revealed that thousands of Amazon employees are listening to what people say when they talk to Alexa.

Amazon said it uses these conversations to improve Alexa’s “understanding of human speech.” Bloomberg’s report Wednesday said the voice snippets are tied to device serial numbers and the owner’s first name.

But there’s a way to prevent Amazon employees from listening in. CNBC dug through the Alexa app, and the option to share this type of information with Amazon was on by default. You can turn it off.

In the Alexa app, which is available for iPhones and Android, the Alexa privacy settings page says this:

Use Voice Recordings to Help Develop New Features

Training Alexa with recordings from a diverse range of customers helps ensure Alexa works well for everyone. When this setting is enabled, your voice recordings may be used in the development of new features. If you turn this setting off, new features may not work well for you.

To turn these settings off, do this:

Open the Alexa app on your phone.
Tap the menu button on the top left of the screen.

Select “Alexa Account.”

Choose “Alexa Privacy.”

Select “Manage how your data improves Alexa.”

Turn off the button next to “Help Develop New Features.”

Turn off the button next to your name under “Use Messages to Improve Transcriptions.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/11/how-to-stop-amazon-from-listening-to-what-you-say-to-alexa.html

That's just weird. I know they want to improve products but it should be WAY MORE CLEAR about that feature. I know they exist but seriously make it clear. I do actively look for this stuff and I turn it off unless I get something extra for it. I'm still ok with it storing your voice for you to look up as long as it isn't used.

use a raspberry pi

https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 01:01:09 PM »

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 01:47:14 PM »
use a raspberry pi

Nice!!! Do you have this setup?
not yet i'm considering it but. i think they have a monthly fee, i'm confused what i'm paying for and why i would need their servers. there are other free services, i would rather have it all on site then go out to the cloud.

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 01:51:50 PM »
use a raspberry pi

not yet i'm considering it but. i think they have a monthly fee, i'm confused what i'm paying for and why i would need their servers. there are other free services, i would rather have it all on site then go out to the cloud.
This would be a huge concept if it could learn and still store locally. It would mean a ton of users might "flock" to this instead.

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 07:12:40 PM »
use a raspberry pi

This would be a huge concept if it could learn and still store locally. It would mean a ton of users might "flock" to this instead.

i dont think so people love the cloud; from what i see. i'm pretty much old school i guess.

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 02:03:53 PM »
So I was trying to get my Google home assistant to work with my new Frigidaire AC window unit. I installed the app and added the AC but couldn't find the link to have them work together. I found that Google and Frigidaire haven't set it up that way. You just make sure the Google Home and the AC are both on the same wifi. This is both good and bad in my opinion. On one hand it WAY EASIER to integrate the AC into the system but on the other hand it isn't seamlessly connected like the other devices. I'm reading in The Alexa app it does however connect like any other skill.

https://assistant.google.com/services/a/uid/000000eeff2727e0?hl=en-US