Author Topic: Man sued Google over its location history  (Read 268 times)

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
Man sued Google over its location history
« on: August 21, 2018, 01:51:55 AM »
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/08/did-google-violate-users-privacy-when-it-secretly-kept-location-data/

Quote from: Cyrus Farivar
If "Location History" was off, Google said it didn't keep data—but that's not true.
CYRUS FARIVAR - 8/20/2018, 1:55 PM

Last Friday, Google quietly edited its description of the practice on its own website—while continuing said practice—to clarify that "some location data may be saved as part of your activity on other services, like Search and Maps."
Ouch...
As a result of the previously unknown practice, which was first exposed by the Associated Press last week, Google has now been sued by a man in San Diego. Simultaneously, activists in Washington, DC are urging the Federal Trade Commission to examine whether the company is in breach of its 2011 consent decree with the agency.

In the lawsuit, which was filed in federal court last Friday in San Francisco, attorneys representing a man named Napoleon Patacsil argued that Google is violating the California Invasion of Privacy Act and the state’s constitutional right to privacy.
Of course a California is powering this one. I think England has a similar law.
In that settlement, Google agreed that it would not misrepresent anything related to "(1) the purposes for which it collects and uses covered information, and (2) the extent to which consumers may exercise control over the collection, use, or disclosure of covered information."

Until the Associated Press story on August 13, Google's policy simply stated: "You can turn off Location History at any time. With Location History off, the places you go are no longer stored."

This turns out to not be true.
I still stand by people need to be aware of what they sign up for and look at their controls but I am a deep technical person so maybe I'm bias.
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Man sued Google over its location history
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 07:46:01 AM »
i would like to join this class action lawsuit
Thirty spokes are joined in the wheel's hub.
The hole in the middle makes it useful.

...the value comes from what is there,
But the use comes from what is not there.

-Tao Te Ching  chapter 11

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
Re: Man sued Google over its location history
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 10:42:36 PM »
i would like to join this class action lawsuit

I couldn't find anything that makes it easy to join in but I only looked for a few minutes.

Its funny I can see this article on Google News lol. See here
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein