Author Topic: Bernie Sanders targets Amazon, Walmart with 100% tax  (Read 468 times)

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
Bernie Sanders targets Amazon, Walmart with 100% tax
« on: September 07, 2018, 11:31:14 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/9dlbcd/bernie_sanders_wants_amazon_and_walmart_to_pay/

CBS News Link

Bernie Sanders says people who work for the richest person in the world, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, shouldn't have to rely on public assistance for food and shelter. That amounts to the kind of corporate welfare the Vermont senator says costs U.S. taxpayers billions of dollars a year.

As a remedy, Sanders and Rep. Ro Khanna, D.-California, on Wednesday proposed legislation that would impose a 100 percent tax on companies equal to the amount of federal benefits received by their employees. If a worker collected $2,000 in food stamps, for instance, the employer would be taxed $2,000 to cover the cost. The requirement would apply to any company with more than 500 workers.
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Bernie Sanders targets Amazon, Walmart with 100% tax
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »
all that companies will do is pay their employees enough to not be able to collect public assistance. that doesnt imply that they will have enough to still live on.

amazon could very well move its company to Canada or mexico and still be able to have 2 day shipping. or use nothing but robotics.

walmart is screwed

and how do we define a living wage?  i would argue that $13 an hour isnt a bad starting wage, most of the jobs i worked never started at that. i didnt even know you could get assistance with a $13 an hour job. i should check to see if i qualify for food stamps.
Thirty spokes are joined in the wheel's hub.
The hole in the middle makes it useful.

...the value comes from what is there,
But the use comes from what is not there.

-Tao Te Ching  chapter 11

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 02:22:14 PM »
all that companies will do is pay their employees enough to not be able to collect public assistance. that doesnt imply that they will have enough to still live on.

Wouldn't that be the goal though in this conversation?

amazon could very well move its company to Canada or mexico and still be able to have 2 day shipping. or use nothing but robotics.

walmart is screwed

I doubt they would make that kind of move and yes WalMart wouldn't be in a good spot.

and how do we define a living wage?  i would argue that $13 an hour isnt a bad starting wage, most of the jobs i worked never started at that. i didnt even know you could get assistance with a $13 an hour job. i should check to see if i qualify for food stamps.

A living wage is the minimum income necessary for a worker to meet their basic needs. At least thats how Google said that lol. Sounds pretty straight forward to me. I don't think $15 an hour is enough but I think that's the point. Its just too low for areas that don't have any other work. If you qualify then you should. Always keep trying to move up though ;) I'm sure I qualify for stuff but I don't even look. Maybe its my pride but who knows.
See answers in red text
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

Offline andyassur

• Administrator
  • Heavy Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 07:50:51 AM »

Wouldn't that be the goal though in this conversation?
people need enough to live on.

walmart is screwed

I doubt they would make that kind of move and yes WalMart wouldn't be in a good spot.
i really wouldnt but it past amazon to do that.

A living wage is the minimum income necessary for a worker to meet their basic needs. At least thats how Google said that lol. Sounds pretty straight forward to me. I don't think $15 an hour is enough but I think that's the point. Its just too low for areas that don't have any other work. If you qualify then you should. Always keep trying to move up though ;) I'm sure I qualify for stuff but I don't even look. Maybe its my pride but who knows.

the problem is that skilled jobs are being created. which would imply more money. and the jobs that want skilled labor are asking to much up front which is causing poeple to have to goto into crazy student debt. for an entry level job, and they are trying to pay back the debt to the point that $30 an hour isnt enough to move out of their parents house. your living wage really depends on your circumstances.

See answers in blue text
Thirty spokes are joined in the wheel's hub.
The hole in the middle makes it useful.

...the value comes from what is there,
But the use comes from what is not there.

-Tao Te Ching  chapter 11

Offline jdaniele

• Administrator
  • Never stop questioning
    • View Profile
    • JeremyDaniele.com